Monday, February 2, 2009

Why So Complicated?

Well, not really sure what's going on, but things around here have gotten a bit (gulp) complicated. That's putting it nicely and optimistically, or putting it the "Martin" way. (Something you should all know is that Martin likes to look at things sunny-side up. I think you all probably know that, but I don't think you realize the severe truth in this statement.) Now for putting it my way: My life is a suck fest right now!

Number 1: Alex had basketball tryouts last week and no, he did not make the team...I have been trying to help him try not to feel like his life is over, but lets face it, I'm not the best person to do this. Remember, I never made the team and/or squad in Jr. High or High School. Unfortunately, I let that affect me negatively, so all these feelings that are supposedly long in the past, have now resurfaced. However, I am a good one to empathize so perhaps that has helped Alex in some way. We'll see. If he ends up being a bitter, depressed, anxious ball of emotions we'll know what went wrong.

Number 2: The economy. Yes, folks, the economy is scaring me. You have probably all heard that Microsoft has let off employees for the FIRST time in its history. Now, that right there, is enough to elevate my blood pressure. Martin assures me that his team is a necessary money-maker for the software giant right now. Not only that, but Martin is high up on the management ladder and the chances are his job is safe but we should prepare (blah, blah, blah...this is where I tune out). All I can think of is what if...?

Number 3: We're coming up on the first anniversary of my sister's death, and I don't feel much like celebrating. It's weird that there should be an anniversary for such a tragic thing, but that's the way it goes. This whole year has been full of depressing anniversaries: her birthday, her wedding day, her daughters' birthdays, Ernie's birthday, First Christmas without Jenny, One year since the Meningitis, One year since she started Hospice...you get the idea. I think this anniversary will be hard too and it's causing me some unwanted stress and emotion.

Number 4: I have had a headache for 13 days!! Nothing super bad, just annoying and uncomfortable enough to make doing my normal routine a challenge. As you know, moms don't get a break, so functioning with a headache sucks!!

Number 5:

Okay, enough whining. I've decided to look at the bright side. Is this Martin rubbing off on me? I don't think so. That probably would have happened long before this year, if it was going to happen at all. No, I think it's just that I need to look at the good things in my life because although there are some annoying things going on, I am truly very blessed. So here it goes.

Number 1: My kids, Martin and I are all healthy (knock on wood)! I don't know why but for the moment, we aren't being challenged with a sickness or disease that threatens our way of life. That is a huge blessing.

Number 2: I am in a marriage that is the strongest it has ever been. Again, I don't know why but year #14 has been the charm for us. Martin and I seem to be more in sync. Do we fight??? Yep (and the kids can attest to that), but we are trying to understand where the other is coming from and that is helping. (Not to mention I married a saint!)

Number 3: I have a family who supports me and loves me. I have also connected with a lot of old friends who have helped give me encouragement this difficult year; friends who knew Jenny and loved her too, and I am thankful for them. I also have many friends here in WA that have given me support and I have new friends who have proven to be the truest friends I've met in a long time.

So, sorry I don't have any earth-shattering news, but this is what has been going through my mind lately, and I'd thought I'd share it here. I hope you don't mind. And if you do, don't read this!!! J/K

4 comments:

said...

Can't even begin to imagine how difficult it would be to lose your sister. You are an inspiration to me Heather. Many hugs and prayers for a 'peace' filled anniversary.

Mindy said...

Whaaaaa!!! ;) I'm your sister I can say that to you, right? I'm so sorry Alex... Life does make you want to go eat worms at times... But it makes your character stronger for it. Keep your chin up! Heather... you are working yourself into an anxiety attack! You can't control most of those things so don't get too stressed over them. I can agree with you that this last year has definately been a trial for all of us, but look how much closer we all are as a family. You say that you and Martin are closer then you have ever been and it's probably because of the trials you have been given. SOMETIMES GOD CALMS THE STORM... SOMETIMES HE CALMS HIS CHILD AND LETS THE STORM RAGE ON. I feel like the storm is going to knock my house down at times, but so far we are all ok. :) I have found (just lately) that it all depends on your attitude, if you want things to be better then they will be. You can't dwell on the negative, otherwise it consumes you and you'll begin to feel overwhelmed and get that headache that never goes away. Things will be alright, go take an advil. LOL! ;)

Jen Vesper said...

Ok....LOL Mindy...leave it to your sister to let you have it! Poor Alex! At least he tried out. Rachael decided she wouldn't make it before tryouts and just came home. Uugghh!! Now we are doing her 9th grade schedule and win mean parent awards because we are making her take Seminary so she can't take choir. Let's face it, we are really saving her. The girl can't sing! *grin* And just for the record...I always went home depressed that you didn't make it to. I think I went to every try-out with you and you were the best one there. They were off their rockers!

Ali Hawkins said...

I am sorry you are having a rough time right now. Chase felt so bad for Alex, but he is glad that he is doing intermurals with him. It is always hard around anniversaries but it does get easier there are times when it is rough but it passes. I think the hardest for us is when there kids have something going on and they aren't there. I always miss him at church events like baptisms, blessings ,birth of babies and things like that. I hope your pain eases. I hope this made sense.