Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year, See Ya Next Year Christmas!

We had such a fun time in Utah this year. We are home now, unpacked and relaxing while it snows outside. It seems we got home just in time to miss the snowy passes! Here's some highlights from our annual trip Home:

1. I got to spend a ton of time with my nieces Erin and Phoenix and they actually wanted to spend time with their Aunt Heather. The two of them are such a pair, but totally different in many ways. I see Jenny in Erin when I just glance at her or hear her laugh. Her beautiful big blue eyes and long blond hair are the same as Jenny's at age 4. I see Jenny in Phoenix a little differently. I think it's her temperament that is so much like her mom. If she doesn't want to do something (like change into her jammies) she ain't doin' it--and you will NOT make her.















2. The annual Higley Christmas Eve party. I ate and ate and ate. I also ate, and boy was it good. Spiral cut ham, funeral potatoes (we've decided we hate that name--maybe just "yummy potatoes" is better) and turkey. We always have a talent show during the party and I usually have so much fun seeing family members make fools of themselves. Actually, the kids are growing and developing such great fun talents, like singing, dancing and playing the piano. There are also some other "talents" that I have to say belong better in a freak show. . . like bending fingers back in an inhuman way, or making weird noises with body parts, but I digress. My dad always ends the show with playing "Jingle Bells" on his head. No, seriously, he pounds his head and a noise comes out of his mouth in the tune of the song. However, this year he couldn't do it because the day before he had to have Carpal Tunnel surgery. We missed it, Dad!









































3. Sledding with Alex, Ariel, Brent, Savannah, Valerie and Isaac (and Yuki the dog). I took the kids up to North Ogden at this park we used to go Ice Blocking in when I was growing up. It was superb sledding condition--ice all the way down.














And, yes, I went down. . . once, but as I was sliding down I realized, with my eyes closed, that killing myself on that stupid sled would not be worth the "fun" I had on it. That, my friends, was a moment of clarity.

























4. Seeing and holding my niece, Oakley, and being there for her blessing.














5. I also got to see my nephew Bryce who has been in Japan in the Navy. It has been 3 years since I've seen him and it was nice to see him again.


6. The family New Years Eve party. We always do White Elephant gifts and this year Alex got a great one. It was a box of window/bumper stickers with pro Obama sentiments. Somebody got us good!

I also loved seeing all of my family. Thanks everyone for letting us invade your homes and time. I love you all!

There are a lot of other note worthy activities but I don't have pictures for them. But you get the gist. We had a wonderful time. Thanks, Mom, for your hospitality and taking care of us! We love you all!

3 comments:

Tonii said...

It was SO much fun seeing you guys, even though it was way too short!! I am so glad you were able to spend so much time with your family, I would imagine it is so healing to see Jenny's children, they are beautiful! I just love your darling family, I hope it is not next Christmas when we see you guys again :)

staceygriff said...

hey I'll take the Obama stickers. I'll put one on my car ;) Just teasing. It looks like you guys had a great time. I'm so glad. Your family cracks me up, your dad cracks me up. Too funny. What a great family you have.

Jen Vesper said...

LOL...Jingle Bells...I can actually picture it...do you still do the dropping quarters in a cup game? *grin* I love your family. I wish I would have been around to see you more...but I am visiting soon!