Monday, May 18, 2009

Mr. Baseball and the 2009 Season (so far)

Is there anything I love more than baseball season? Hmmm....maybe, but I do love it. I love sitting in the sunshine and watching Alex. I'm always amazed at the maturity he shows on the field. This year is his first year out of the Little League program and since there's no team at the middle school we decided to go to the Pony League this year. He plays with 13 and 14 year olds (I think some may 15 also).

These kids are HUGE! My dad was visiting a month ago and went to a game, and as he so eloquently put it, "Some of those kids are big enough to eat hay and pull a plow." I was nervous when I first saw how big these kids are. Mostly because I wondered how in the world Alex would be able to compete with those guys. Apparently, puberty hits around this age and we're still waiting for it with Alex). Most of the guys are 6 to 12 inches taller than he is.

Well, I need not have worried. It took a game or two to adjust to the faster pitching, longer base runs, and head-first sliding, but he's totally up to speed now. It is taking me a longer time to figure out all the stupid new rules...what the heck is a balk???? I've never seen so many dumb rules! Oh, not to mention the "new" rules Alex has assigned to me. I am to no longer call him "Ally," "The A Man," "Big A," "Smiley," or "Bud," as in years past. Now it is "The AC," or nothing. I have also been given strict instructions to never take unsolicited pictures. Hmph! I had to sneak this one in and he was very unhappy.

Alex's coaches this year are some great dads. There are also 3 young men that are recently graduated from High School that have been doing most of the on-field coaching. They were all on Issaquah High's championship team at some point. One of them is a pitcher who was drafted straight from high school to the Atlanta Braves. Unfortunately, he injured his arm pretty severely and plans have changed for him. He and his buddies are coaching the young team and are great at what they do. I think Alex is a little star-struck, but at least he is getting an idea of how to be a team player from some amazing players. I think it's been fun for him to see up close and personal how fast a major league pitcher can throw!

2 comments:

said...

You go, Alex!

Jess said...

That's flippin' sweet! I wish I could even play a sport well enough to be on a team. I have no aim - so props to you AC.

AC...that reminds me of the Sandlot. They have that one kid who grows up and calls his team "The Heaters." Alex will grow up and call his baseball team, "The Air Conditioners." I can't wait! :)

Good Luck!