Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Mish-Mash of Emotion

My emotions have been (a-hem), well, difficult to deal with lately.  I have had an especially hard time the last month or two.  It has been hard to have Dad sick and in the treatment center.  It's been hard to leave family behind after spending a long time with them in Utah this summer.  It's been hard to figure out what our next move should be in our family's infertility battle.  I'm dealing with these emotions and coming to terms with them.  Here's an update on all those fronts!

I have been going through pictures again!!!  I found a lot from this summer that I consider to be from the BEST DAY EVER.  I've been trying to explain to my shrink why I had such a hard time coming home from Utah this past summer.  I have no idea what the answer is to that question, but maybe if I show him these pictures he'll get it better.  How can you not have fun and be happy when you watch children having such fun!?

Dallon

Olivia looking lovely as ever
Alex, who became super-swimmer boy

Dallon and Isaac jumping in tandem (well, trying to at least)

Isaac looking like Mr. GQ

Erin and Phoenix being sweet sisters





A pod of cute swimmers


Pretty Savannah
My Dad goes home tomorrow from the ""Country Club," as he calls it!!  It's actually the care center he's referring to that he's been in for approximately 100 days following his stroke.  I'm so excited and happy that he's going to be able to sleep in his own room and see family members every day! 
Dad and Mom with my kids at the "Country Club"
  Alex has been playing "Fall ball" this year and he's been having fun.  Most games were rained out but we still had fun cheering him on when we could!

Our infertility journey has taken a hiatus this summer.  My body needed it and so did my psyche!!  My Doctor told me last May that I needed to get my BMI down several points before attempting In-Vitro fertilization, which is the next stop for us.  When you hear you're too fat that is NEVER a fun conversation.. just in case you have never had one.  However, since this was not some kind of revelation for me I knew it was the best thing for me, even putting aside my wishes for more rug rats.  I've lost hundreds of pounds in the past (most fat people are super good at losing weight), but this time I wanted to try something different, something that might actually stick.  So I dug in, increased my work-out intensity (turns out I've been taking it too easy on myself in my routine work outs), and cut back on my calorie intake and I lost 20 pounds (give or take).  I'm half a point away from the BMI I need to be at to do the procedure!  Get this:  I did it sans Weight Watchers, Personal Trainers, Nutri-System, Jenny Craig or hypnosis (all of which I have done in the past).  Plus, this is something I can stick to easily.  Now I know this is a drop in the proverbial bucket for me in terms of what I should lose, but I'm happy with finding a way to take it off slow and sure. 

So, this is what's been in my emotional pool lately.  Just thought you'd like to know!

12 comments:

Sheri said...

First of all I am so excited that your dad is able to come home! It is so hard seeing your parents (who I grew up feeling were so invincible) get older and start to struggle with their help. Especially when we live away from them and I feel like I can do so little for them. I am glad you were able to spend so much time with them this summer. Also, way to go on losing the weight! That is awesome, doesn't it feel great to lose it without the help of a program? When I have done that it has given me confidence because it was just me, nothing else that did it. Anyway, keep up the great work!

Sheri said...

Okay i guess i should read my comment before I post it. I of course meant it is hard to see your parents struggle with their HEALTH, not help. Although it is quite funny to imagine my dad struggling with someone trying to help him. Anyway, have a great day :)

Heath694 said...

Sheri, you're cracking me up! I'm so glad to hear from you! Hope all is going well with you guys.

Jen Vesper said...

If a doctor told me to get my BMI down I would punch him in the face....just sayin.

I had a hard time with you leaving too. Even though I only got to see you once, I love it so much when you are here. You have an amazing family too...who wouldn't miss them? Love you! Hope all goes well!

Mindy said...

My goodness... are you sure you aren't already pregnant? You are an emotional wreck... what's wrong with you!?! Hahahaha... We miss you all too. But chipper up - things are still good! :)

Heath694 said...

Jen, this was the first time a doctor put it to me in such a way that I had to agree with him. Their procedure dictates you be under a certain BMI to have the surgery in their little OR. The anesthesiologists can only do surgery on those people "healthy" enough. I can't really argue with that. It's for my safety after all. But you're right it DID suck for a day or two, then I got over it and started trying. It's so not a fun thing to be told...ever.

Dawn Polson said...

Heather, when I had my back surgery last year they actually went in through the front and the doctor said to me "well, you could help the surgeon out a lot by losing some weight before the procedure because the less they have to cut through the easier it is on everyone." WHAT?! Yeah, it's nice they put it in a way you felt good about it, but it always stings nonetheless. :) Good luck with everything!

Dawn Polson

~Savannah Lynn~ said...

haha thoses pictures are awesome!! I miss you guys so much, we had so much fun and such a good time! You would love my room, its pretty fantastic! But text me, k? Alex did the other day, and it made my whole day! Miss you guys! dont have too much fun without me. And good job on your weight loss! I am super proud

Amy Sorenson said...

Congrats on loosing 20 lbs. I think that's great. I was really glad you were there for Dad. He needed you there because you can make him laugh like nobody else can. Thanks!

chanel-marc said...

I am sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he is doing better now that he is home. Your family seems really close. I am sure it is hard to be away. My grandma always told me my heart is in Utah. I am always sad when I come back home after being in Utah too. I know it is because most of my family is there.
Take care and good luck with everything. We lover your family.

Park Family said...

Glad your dad is at home now. Its gotta be hard being away from family but know people up here love you too! You'll get your BMI down and will be able to have the procedure. We will keep you guys in our prayers and I've been thinking that maybe this month we could go on the double date we talked about but maybe we could go somewhere other than where we discussed ;)

Consejos para reformar la cocina said...

I believe you have remarked some very intriguing details , thankyou for the post.