Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bull's Eye!

We've had a couple of injuries incurred in the past couple of weeks.  First of all, Isaac and Alex LOVE to wrestle, fight, and generally rough house.  It drives me crazy usually but sometimes it's cute.  Alex is really good and kind to Isaac when they are going at it and so nobody gets hurt.  But sometimes accidents do happen.  Isaac got a knee to the cheek a couple of weeks ago from playing and it bruised up his eye too.  At first when I told him I think he'd have a black eye he was worried that he would be made fun of at school.  But when Alex and Martin told him it was a sign of "manliness" he got really excited.  He then kept asking me hopefully, if it was getting blacker....which it did for a couple of days.
My bull's eye 2 days post-incision
In other news I noticed a bump on the back of my knee a week ago that looked and felt like a giant pimple or ingrown hair.  I didn't think much of it until I kept waking up all night in pain because of it and could barely walk!  The size of said "blemish" had expanded quite a bit and it hurt!   It looked like a gigantic bull's eye--and it kept growing!!  Martin suggested I see the doctor and boy, am I glad I did!  The doctor told me it was an ingrown hair, pimple, or some type of insect bite that had gotten infected...and HOW!  My leg felt like it was on fire.  It felt like it was in my muscle so that every time I bent the leg a little bit it hurt.  (Just so you know you really stretch the skin on the back of your knee when you walk...trust me).   I got some antibiotics and the doc sent me home with instructions to lay off the leg for a few days.  Well, I already had my workout gear on, and my leg felt alright that morning so I went off to the gym.  Big mistake!  Later, my leg was so swollen I couldn't even bend it.  Flash forward 2 days and I'm in the doctor's office squeezing the very life out of Martin's hand as the doc lanced the sore to relieve some of the fluid.  The oozy stuff just kept on coming out.  It was really disgusting.  She had to really push throughout the sore and cut into the abscess to find all the infection.  I was glad I had my back to the doctor and couldn't see it!  I then had to have a "drain" put in to continue to drain the extra pus.  It is still at this moment draining so much that it runs down my leg if I don't cover it up!  TMI???   It is the grossest, most painful thing ever!  I am so glad I got on those antibiotics as soon as I did or I could have been in real trouble.  I think of the infection my Dad had gotten and how it spread to his knee and I feel very glad that I listened to Martin and got into the doctor as soon as I did.  Dad must have been in so much pain to have had the infection spread to his knee.  I cringe just thinking about it! 

I hope this doesn't make you too sick!  Hahahaha!   It's definitely been a hard week and I hope I can get back to life next week!   Whoo knew a tiny little sore could cause so much trouble?!  It was really miserable.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Ryan says to cut the lace off! His was about three times that size! :) Way to go Isaac - next time make sure you get Alex one too! ;)

Brenda Dickerson Lassabe said...

Heather email me your email address brenda.dickerson@comcast.net

Amy Sorenson said...

We were all reading your blog as we ate our Family Home Evening Treat. The description of your infection was really appetizing;) I hope you are feeling better. Isaac, You're one tough dude.

staceygriff said...

Ouch Heather!! Why didn't you say something today? That's awful looking. I'm sorry. Are you sure you are up to watching the kids? On a lighter note, tell Issac I like his war wound!!