Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Kingston Ferry

Just before school got out this year we took the ferry to Kingston from the Shoreline area. It's the first time my kids remember being on a ferry and I couldn't believe how excited they were. When we boarded the ferry they were giddy with excitement. We walked up to the observation deck and went out to the front of the boat (the back when we're going the other way) and looked out at the beautiful water. As we were taking pictures the horn went off that signals departure and lucky for us, we were directly under it. I don't know if you all know how loud that is, but let's just say we were deaf the rest of the trip. Isaac, who detests loud noises, immediately wanted to get off, but I was able to convince him that wouldn't happen again and he was distracted enough by the boat that he recovered fairly quickly.


Isaac was at his comic best that day. He turned to me when we were on the ferry and said, "This is good times, mom." I laughed and laughed. That kid watches too much television!

Once we got to Kingston we went to a yummy burger joint and then had ice cream (actually, I don't care for ice cream, but the kids do). Then we walked along the docks and looked for interesting things. We found some sea shells and a star fish in the water. It was a nice day and not too hot so we enjoyed it a lot.
On the way back we had to wait in line for the ferry again. Livi and Isaac had a great time playing in the sun roof of the car, while Alex complained and fret about the "waiting again in line." Alex, as a general rule, is the most disagreeable of the kids (don't tell him that) and I was tired of his complaining at this point.

The sun was setting on the ferry as we crossed back and it took my breath away. I, unfortunately, forgot my camera in the car and was too lazy to walk down and get it, but I'll remember that blood red sunset that faded into dark pinks for a long time. We all felt so content and happy. That's what life is all about!

No comments: