Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Seattle Brain Cancer Walk

It was lucky that I heard on the radio that the first Seattle Brain Cancer Walk was on a Saturday in late June. I only had a week to get ready for it so I didn't get as many friends involved as I would have liked. My good friend Amy Hansen from my ward lost her father to brain cancer when she was 14 years old. She joined me and Alex in our brave venture. It was a hot day but it was pleasant until later in the morning. It took place at Mercer Island High school. I was impressed that they had so many supporters being the first year and all. There were a few hundred people including several teams. As we checked in we were excited to see people wearing these crazy inflatable hats that said "Cranium" on top, as the event's name was the "Cranium Crusade." Everyone got one along with t-shirts. Usually stuff like that makes me self-conscious but today I felt bold and immediately inflated mine and donned it like a super trouper (I think Amy helped me be bolder--seriously, she's crazy!). Unfortunately, soon after we put our hats on, we found the plastic to be terribly sweaty and uncomfortable, so we had to stowe them in the car. It was great to talk to Amy and swap brain cancer horror stories and to reminisce about my sister and her dad. It's oddly comforting. I felt like everyone there had a like cause and that united us, even though we didn't know each other. There was a point in the walk that everyone got together on the bleachers and took pictures and gave away prizes for largest donations and such. They also gave out roses, white ones for people who had lost someone to brain cancer and orange and yellow ones to people who knew someone fighting brain cancer. I was amazed at how many there were. I couldn't stop crying at that point; I felt such sorrow and longing for my sister. Anyway, we didn't get to walk very long, as we were late and it got hot fast. But we walked 32 laps for the 32 years my sister lived (Alex's idea. He has to have a goal). Amy and I have decided next year to combine our efforts and get a larger team. We are going to name it something crazy like "Lynch the Harris's." Lynch is my sister's last name and Harris is her dad's last name. We had a great time. I really loved being there with Amy. She is so easy to get along with, so easy going and so fun (Amy, I think this is where they keep the buses:)).

2 comments:

chanel-marc said...

I wish I could have gone. Thanks for picking up my shirt.

Chanel

Mindy said...

I want to come next year! So you will need to let me know when it is so I can plan ahead. (Heather, this means that I will need more than 2 days notice, as it takes 2 days to get there!) That would be fun, I could bring Dallon & Oakley (that would be a fun trip!) and it would be good to see you guys. I haven't even seen your new house yet. So let me know!