Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Our First Attempt At a Family Hike

I decided to take my kids hiking when school got out. I wanted to get out and exercise in the beautiful mountains we have here and the weather, not too cold, not too hot, was perfect. My kids were psyched and we set out one morning up the High School trail on Tiger Mountain. One mile into the hike the kids saw a sign that said there had been a bear sighting, "a mother and cubs," it said. The sign was left at least a month ago, but that didn't matter to the kids. All of a sudden there arose panic in the ranks. Olivia is terrified of animals (althought she claims to love them). Dogs scare her to death and the thought of a bear eating her was too much (I guess we've been watching too much Animal Planet's "Eaten Alive" series). She begged to turn back and go home. I tried to calm her fears and play down the bear issue and soon I was able to get her to go on. As we walked up the well-tread path I couldn't help but notice the beautiful trees in which we were surrounded. I was loving it, but Isaac and Olivia weren't happy. Finally we came to a small stream and I was able to distract Isaac by telling him he could make a wish by picking a flower and throwing it in the water. This was a hit and after about 540 wishes we continued up the trail. We reached the top of the High School trail where there is a flat plateau and a clearing. You can go onto the Poo-poo Point trail or the Tradition Lake trail. Alex and I wanted to go further, but Olivia and Isaac finally won the battle and we turned back. It ended up being a great day, but Livi and Isaac still won't accompany me on any other hikes.

No comments: