Monday, March 9, 2009

Sick and Bored

I was sick for about a week with a nasty cold. Anyway, I was fairly incapacitated and BORED out of my mind. So I played stupid games on the computer, and watched some really good (and really bad) movies. I was able to catch up on some movies I'd wanted to see for a while (like years) but haven't had a chance. Also, I watched some movies that I've never heard of. Here is a list of the movies I watched and my thumbs-up or thumbs-down and reasons for my like or dislike.

1. The Secret Life of Bees - thumbs up - I've read the book, but it was years ago and I have to admit I remembered little about the book. It was fun to see the movie to remind me why I loved the book so much. I thought the movie stayed true to the overall feeling of the book and I thought the casting was spot on for the most part.

2. Nights in Rodanthe - thumbs up and then down -Pretty good and then the guy dies in the end! I don't like death in movies where I'm not expecting it. I didn't know anything about the story and so I got attached to the characters and what happens??? He DIES!!! I know things are not always "happy ending" in this life but I was not expecting this. Until that part the movie was okay. The acting was a bit forced too and the story a bit hokey.

3. Henry Poole is Here - thumbs WAY up - I loved this movie. I had not even seen any trailers on this movie, so I was pleasantly surprised. It was a bit hard to watch given the fact that the main character, Henry Poole, knows he's dying. That hit a bit close to home because of Jenny, but hope being the central idea was very refreshing...you don't see that very often. Plus, I thought it was a bit edgy and had an almost dream-like quality but that added to its charm.

4. Reality Bites - thumbs whatever- I have been hearing this movie was good for over 10 years and all I have to say is, "hmmmm...really?" This was a bit lame on top of the fact that it was somewhat depressing, and just, well, boring. Winona Ryder was okay. I don't particularly love or hate her, but this movie didn't move me at all. Is it a 90's icon? No idea. It was definitely not the 90's I lived, but whatever.

5. Batman Begins - thumbs still wondering what to do - I hate it when I hear tons and tons of good things about movies and get my hopes all up and then have them dashed. This movie was like that for me. I just watched this movie for the first time (seriously) and I'm a few years behind, but anyway...I think the effects were great and I liked the story but it was full of annoying cliches and that drives me nuts. I guess that's how a lot of the comic movies are, I also hated "Iron Man" when I saw it...and that has nothing to do with the fact that Gwyneth was in it (although she is my biggest competition for Chris Martin--I think that ship's already sailed). FYI: I loved the older Batman movies with Val Kilmer, Michael Keaton and that other dude.

6. Fireproof - thumbs up - I really enjoyed this movie and was impressed by the amount of attention it got. It's a christian film and usually they don't really grab me too much but this one did as I thought it was incredibly relevant for lots of different reasons. Was it cheesy?? I guess a little bit but my cheesedar didn't go off much and I was glad for that. I think if people took the advice given from this movie to heart a lot of marriages could be saved, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I feel like movies are trying to do just the opposite and that gets to me, which is why I'm rather snobbish about what I will and won't see. I don't like to be encouraging and supporting that.

I watched some more movies that I truly could not get through the first 10 minutes. I feel like I'm losing my attention span as I get older, and that's probably not a good thing. These are the ones that jumped out at me, though and I wanted to post about that. So you're very welcome (bow).

5 comments:

Mindy said...

You have one heck of a family! I could never get away with watching that many movies! I haven't seen that many movies in the 10 years that I have been married!!! The sad thing is, I'm not even kidding! :) I did see the Nights in Rodanthe... it was entertaining, but the plot of the movie was a little hoochie! Ryan liked it because Diane Lane was in it.

Heath694 said...

I figured Ryan would watch it with Ms. Lane being in it. However, that is not the type of movie I picture Ryan liking. PS. my kids are all in school now and I get some free time. Maybe one day you will too. Hahahahaha!!!

staceygriff said...

I think Reality Bites needed to be watched in the 90's to like it or somewhat like it. In the 90's I liked Wyonna Rider and Ethan Hawke, now I could care less about them. Plus I liked Jeanine Garafalo or however you spell her name? Now I don't even care much for her. I like your list though. It's funny because when I'm sick I can't watch movies or read anything, I can't concentrate enough on anything. I feel to cruddy to be able to. Which sucks because that would be the best time to catch up on movies and books. Ugh.

Heath694 said...

Mindy, Did Ryan like Nights in Rodanthe as much as Castaway????

Stacy, I think you're right about Reality Bites. It was beyond me, though. I think the generation X it's supposed to be about is probably spot on, though. However, my 90's was spent having babies, so maybe that's my problem!!!:)Too far removed from me!

Jen Vesper said...

I thought reality bites was cute, but nothing spectacular. However, I loved the soundtrack.