Monday, March 16, 2009

13 Year Old


Alex, my first-born, turned 13 yesterday. I know, it is out of control and scary. I don't know if I can cope--seriously, when did this happen? It seems like he has always been a kid and will always be a kid. I need to realize he's growing up!

Alex has always been a sweet boy. His disposition is to be happy and easy-going but under the surface hides a bit of a control freak and a sarcastic self-perfectionist. He reminds me A LOT of myself. He is more like me than Martin that way. When he was a baby he started talking at 10 or 11 months and I remember he could tell me his colors at 12 months. I think that is first-child syndrome, but he was an early talker. Walking, on the other hand, didn't come until shortly before 16 months, as with all my kids. He was so much fun when he was little. He was my little best friend and went everywhere with me. He had, and still has, a very infectious smile and laugh. When we moved to the Seattle area he got me through the tough times and I depended on him a lot. He is still a rock that I look to for support and he only gets stronger with age. I can't wait to see him get more mature and watch him become a man. He knows when to be serious and when to goof off and he respects people. He has the funniest sense of humor and can make me laugh at the oddest of times when I'm least expecting it. I hope you all can get to know Alex. I feel like he has a lot to give as a person. Happy Birthday Alex!
An interview with a 13 year old:

What is your favorite:

1. Food? Mexican
2. Music group? Linkin Park
3. Thing to do? Play sports, especially baseball.
4. Subject at school? Math
5. Animal? Dogs, especially huskies.
6. Actor? Steve Carell
7. Place? Utah
8. Color? Blue
9. Song? "Somebody Told Me" by the Killers
10. TV show? The Office
11. Movie? Harry Potter (any one)
12. Team? Yankees (Seriously? Who knew?)
Where would you like to serve your mission? Japan


Some of Alex's favorite things: Guitar Hero, good chocolate (milk chocolate), movies, alternative music, playing outside with friends, family, food, sleeping (he sleeps all the time), playing the piano.
Alex catching some sweet air.

4 comments:

said...

Happy Birthday Alex! I didn't read anywhere on Mom's blog your skill as a whipped cream contest champ! We watched the video last night on Mark's blog and laughed and laughed and laughed! Paul thinks that looks like a GREAT activity! We all discussed... "Is Alex 12 already!?" Hmmmm.... guess we now know. :-) All the best to you and your super family!

Love,
The Wisers

Jess said...

Happy Birthday Alex! That's flippin' sweet! Jordan also would like to say "Happy Birthday." :)

Now I will 'sing' you a fabulous birthday song:

Happy, Happy Birthday!
Just from me to you!
I wish it was MY birthday,
So I could get gifts too! HEY!

Hope it was an awesome birthday Al!

Mindy said...

Happy Birthday Alex - I missed that you put this new post up! :) I think he got a lot from his Mother - I wonder about the sleeping one though... Heather, that's your favorite past-time, is it really Alex's too?! ;) Hope you had a GREAT BIRTHDAY!!! You are a teenager, give your parents GREIF!!! Oh, yeah.... Do you remember Alex... "YOU OWE ME A HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!" LOL!!!! You were so funny when you were little!

staceygriff said...

I knew I connected with Alex for a reason! I love that song by the Killers, I too would love to go on a mission to Japan and Steve Carell, who doesn't love Steve Carell? Alex is one cool 13 year old. You've raised a good kid, an awesome boy actually. I didn't know he was a Linkin Park fan, that's another cool thing about Alex!!!