Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Orcas Island 2009

We went to Orcas Island again this year over the Labor Day weekend. We stayed at the same place we stayed last year in Eastsound. It's a little condo. The place has a pool, hot tubs, tennis court and is right on the beach.
It's beautiful and we wished we had a boat so we could use their slip. This is the view from the North end of the Island facing West. Way beyond the furthest mountain is Vancouver BC. I love this little island. If I could live here I would, but I don't see that happening any time soon...ahhh, well.






We did some fun things this year. We went swimming every day even though the water was freezing. That never stopped Alex who, it would seem, has an affinity to pain. Isn't he so cool in this picture? Totally awesome, right?







We went hiking and I was so thrilled to be able to join in. This is the first time I could do it in 6 years, since my feet have been bad. My feet didn't hurt! Yay, for Dr. Blahous!! I even wore my flip-flops and was fine even after 3 miles! I've come full circle it would seem!! This is my feet after the hike. Dirty, I know, but I'm wearing my sister Jenny's shoes that I found at my mom's house this summer and then stole. It was fun to think she was walking there with me. She would have loved it there. Sorry Mom (but not really)!! Isaac was his typical self on the hike. We had to do so fancy talking to get him to finish it. He was not impressed, but we had fun! He looks like he's in pain here, because, according to him, he is in pain.





Olivia, Isaac and I did some beach combing. Livi loved finding shells, cool rocks and other interesting things.




We also went whale watching again this year. I think I'm addicted the adrenaline of seeing them in the wild. While we were on the boat watching a pod of whales forage for salmon, all of a sudden a female orca came up and swam directly under the boat! When she came up for air just 10 or 15 feet from where I was standing I was able to get a quick shot of her swimming away. The captain of the boat, who's been doing this for 20 years, said he has only seen that happen once or twice. She literally came out of nowhere and it was really surreal to see her body so close underneath the boat. It was amazing!


I can't wait to go back next summer. It's kind of our family tradition we started and I hope we can do it for a long time. Here's some more pictures of the trip:



4 comments:

Mindy said...

How fun, maybe we could join you next year! :) Then Ryan could come up and do your electrical work that you need done. (If you invite us I'll make sure Ryan doesn't write anymore policital things on your facebook! JK/LOL Like I have any control over that.) Anyhow, looks like you guys had fun! Cute pictures.

Jess said...

Oh Heather! I'm so jealous. That place is gorgeous in so many ways!!! Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing pieces of your vacation with us. I'm pretty sure I have to go there some time.

P.S. Those shoes of Jenny's? I found them once too. Downstairs in the closet, right? I tried them on. It was kind of fun because I thought the same thing - it was like I was walking with Jen.) :)

staceygriff said...

I love the photo of Olivia looking back and Issac walking on. She looks so grown up and beautiful. Thanks for sharing your fun trip with us. It gives me hope that I will be able to go on hikes again and not have my foot be killing me. I love Orcas too but I don't know if I could live there. Maybe for a short time each year but I think the isolation would get to me. I'm not a city girl but I like being close to one.

monkeyluvrvs said...

fun!!!! I wish I could've gone! anyway, my mom has a blog, finally! it's adsorenson.blogspot.com I think....... I'll check and post back again.