Saturday, March 20, 2010

14 and Full of Himself

Alex turned 14 on the 15th. What can I say about Alex...hmmm. Here's 10 things:
1. He is handsome (that smile alone is enough to make you fall in love with him--it did cost us 10G's so it better).

2. He is kind and well-mannered. Never once have I heard from anyone that he was mean spirited or that he's picked on anyone, or shown any kind of disrespect. We sometimes get notes from school teachers telling us how much they enjoy having him in their class.

3. He's gentle. He'd be so mad at me for saying this. The way he "wrestles" with Isaac and gives of his time to his little brother is so awesome for me to see. Little children have always been drawn to him. He's a big ball of fun that all the neighborhood boys want to play with (young and old) and a great roll model for his siblings.

4. He knows what's right. Sometimes, as many teenagers do, he challenges what we "tell him" to be right. But left to his own devices he comes around to the same conclusion without much help from us.

5. He loves sports. Duh. He's coming alive now that baseball has officially started. How I love watching him play. He has an awesome head for the game (not to mention skills).

6. Alex is responsible. I very rarely have to get after him to get his homework done. He's self-motivated and tries his hardest to get the best possible grade. He doesn't like to miss school and he is excelling in piano like crazy.

7. He is gracious. If anyone does anything for him he never lets it go unnoticed. He is thankful for what he has and talks about it all the time.

8. He's funny. Alex and I have the same personality and same sense of humor. We can make each other laugh pretty easily. It's good until we use it against people and gang up on them...sorry Martin.

9. He has awesome taste in music, thanks to me. Thank heaven he doesn't go out for country like his sister,the turn-coat has done (thanks Aunt Mindy). We still love ya, Liv.

10. When Alex was born he quickly became my best friend. Martin was at work and school and the lab all the time and I was so glad to have a little buddy. We obviously did everything together and I loved those fun days of our early family. Once we moved to Seattle I leaned on his little 2 year old body a lot. I'm so glad to say he is still my best buddy!

I love you, Alex! Happy Birthday to the coolest kid around!

5 comments:

Jess said...

In every way - agreed!
Happy Birthday Alex!

Amy Sorenson said...

I must say that during the Olympics there was a commercial(I think it was a car commercial) about winners and losers. It had a dad who beat the son at something and wanted to do a "pounder" and the kid shakes his head no. Everytime the commercial came on it would make us laugh because the kid reminded all of us of Alex. We miss ya. Happy Birthday Big Guy!

Jen Vesper said...

And Happy Birthday to you too!!!!

Mindy said...

Happy Birthday Alex! We really hope you had a great day! Everything your Mother wrote about you is true... You are an expceptional young man! :) And... you are definately one of Dallon's favorite cousins. I really appreciate the patience you have with him, I know it takes a lot! (Trust me, I know!) He worships the ground you walk on. Good luck with baseball! Dallon starts soon too, in another year or two we'll be putting Dallon in a pony league... I can hardly wait (totally sarcastic about that!). Miss you guys!

Jen Vesper said...

So Heath, if you don't start updating this more often, I am going to sign you up for Facebook again because I can't stand going that long without hearing your blessed sarcasm. Don't make me do it! You know I will! Oh, and I have news for you. I have left two messages. Call me back dork! :)