Saturday, May 22, 2010

How Will His Garden Grow?/Phoenix

I went to Utah to help my Mom with my Dad. He's doing well. He still has the "cement" that is infused with antibiotic in his knee. This makes it so there is very little range of motion in his leg and it's still very painful. He's also taking Vancomycin via a pic line in his arm every day for six weeks. The doctor says after 6 weeks they will take him off the antibiotic and wait two weeks. Then they will check Dad's blood for infection. If there is no further sign of infection they can put in a new knee prosthetic and pray the infection doesn't come back. His chances are pretty good, but nothing is a sure thing. Dad's pretty healthy so we are hoping everything will go as planned.
"Who will be taking care of Dad's super garden this year then?" you ask. Good question. But my Dad has been trying to convince many friends and neighbors and family to prepare the soil and do some planting. He's got some of it figured out. My brother Todd is going to be visiting from South Dakota and Dad's got some plans for him. Dad put me to work on locating and obtaining hundreds of seeds for planting, which seems like a really easy request but you'd be surprised. I had to run back and forth from the computer I was ordering on line from, explaining the difference between growing seasons of everything from cantaloupes to pumpkins. It was comical after the first 10 times. Dad refuses to let the land go unplanted and it should be interesting to see how things come up (no pun intended).

I had fun spending time with my Dad and my Mom and I got to see a lot of Erin and Phoenix, my sister Jenny's two daughters. I love to spend time with them. The way Erin looks at me with those big blue eyes reminds me so much of Jenny at that age. She has a sweet disposition and rarely causes any trouble. She's a dream of a child! Phoenix is equally as sweet but let's just say she has more of her Mom's disposition/temperament :). She can be a bit stubborn but we all adore the funny things she says and does.

While I was visiting Phoenix celebrated her 4th birthday. It seems like yesterday that Jenny had given birth and was calling me to persuade me to come to Phoenix's baby blessing. She was really intent that I travel to Utah to be there for it. She even offered to pay for half of my plane fare. It was a touching time we spent on the phone for me, because I could tell that it meant a lot to her that I be there for this milestone. I'm so thankful I went because I got to spend a lot of time with my sister. I remember we shopped and had lunch together and I held sweet little Phoenix, who seemed so tiny. I hung out at Jen's house and we took walks and watched the sunset over Antelope Island and talked about our future plans, as she was preparing to move. I don't think Jen thought that baby Phoenix would ever make her safe entrance into this world. It was a relief she was here safe. I also remember going to see the architect who drew up the plans for her new house. It was to be built next to my sister Mindy and my Mom; the house she would sadly take her last breath. Those are such sweet almost dreamlike moments as I look back. I am so grateful I could get away for a few days 4 years ago, and again last week! I leave a lot of love back in Utah.

4 comments:

Amy Sorenson said...

Okay, enough making me cry Heath. I am glad you got to come for the week. I hope we will see you in again in a few weeks.

Mindy said...

You are stealing my pictures! :) Glad you were able to come down for a little bit. Hope to see you soon!

Jen Vesper said...

Love you Heather...miss you already.

chanel-marc said...

Your sisters kids are adorable. What cute picrues -Chanel