Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Poor Papa

Last week we had a scare when my sister from Utah, Mindy texted me saying my Dad was in surgery. I, of course, freaked out! Apparently, Dad scraped his leg a while back on some farm equipment. He noticed it wasn't healing but didn't think anything of it and went about his business. He started running a fever one night and by the next morning he couldn't put any weight on his leg because his knee was so painful. Mom took him to the ER where an orthopedic surgeon assessed the problem. Dad's cut had become so infected that the infection traveled to his knee and his whole knee had then become infected. The problem is that Dad has prosthetic knees that he got about 8 years ago during a very painful double knee replacement surgery.

The only option seemed to be immediate surgery to remove the prosthesis, let the leg heal for 6 weeks and then put in a new knee once the infection was gone. This means a Summer of difficult recovery and no fun for my Dad (no growing corn, no puttering in the dirt, no devising new and interesting ways to grow tomatoes...nothing). Poor Dad. He lives for the summer like a kid does. He is totally taken aback by this blow as we all are. I feel so bad for the poor chap.

I am going to go home next week to help cheer my Dad up and also help my Mom with some of the nursing responsibilities. He is home from the hospital but can only walk with a walker. He has a pic line for heavy antibiotic therapy. I'm hoping he gets well soon.

I'm currently contemplating fun ways to keep Dad entertained this summer since he can't do his usual "stuff." I wonder how he feels about spending the day at the pool with about 15 grand kids and me....Any other ideas??

11 comments:

Amy Sorenson said...

The pool idea sounds fabulous. Too bad if he doesn't...hehehe. I know he would just love having you and the kids there to entertain him.

Jen Vesper said...

I am SO FREAKING excited that you are coming!!!I know I may only get to see you for dinner, but still excited!! You are so sweet to come and entertain your dad. Maybe I can come and hang with the two of you for a bit and give you some moral support. :)

Heath694 said...

Jen - Ahhhhhhh!!! I can't wait to see you too. Give me a ring when I get to my Mom's or I'll call you. Making any cakes this week? I could see you in all your artistic glory again!!! PS Dad's birthday is the 19th of this month. Maybe we could do a cake for him!!

Amy - You WILL join us at the pool for a kid free-for-all while we sisters talk and make fun of other people in their swimsuits, as usual! I can't wait. You know, since we look SO good in ours (well, you do). Dad will have to sit in the water with his leg bag on :). He'll complain but he can take pictures and film the kids. And there's no escape for him there. Har-har!

Jen Vesper said...

I will! I would volunteer to be a surrogate sister at the pool, but there's no way in hell you're getting me in a swimsuit! :) I am making a cake this weekend actually. Iron Man on Friday and a World War II airplane on Saturday. I would LOVE for you to spend some time with me then as I will be super stressed and could use some comic relief. :) And we should totally think of a cake for your dad. I would love to do it. Whatever we do...I have to put Harvey gum on it.

Heath694 said...

Harvey gum??? No way!!! That is the last thing he needs to see and get any ideas. Yes, I will be your comic relief...I like to do what I can to help. Can't wait to see you and my sisters and Mom....Oh, and Dad.

Dawn Polson said...

Ah, I remember Harvey gum. I love that memory. Even though I was young, the days I spent on the farm with our dads are some of my favorite childhood memories. Just because I think it's all about me, I think Jennifer should do a bale wagon cake since it was mine and Jenny's favorite tractor. :) It was probably other people's too, but I just knew we both liked it. Jennifer you should do a bale wagon hauling Harvey gum! ;)

Heath694 said...

Yes, I think a bale wagon would be funny. However, I don't remember what they looked like exactly. :)

Jen Vesper said...

ummmm...no. A bale wagon would be SO hard!! :) Maybe a plaque of a bale wagon hauling harvey gum....but I think you think I am more talented than I really am! :)

staceygriff said...

I think looking at books about Cats would entertain you and your dad. Especially the book about "things on cats"!! Ha ha. I think you just being there to help and keep him company is going to cheer him up. Have fun.

Lisa Kay said...

Hi Heather! I'm so sorry to hear that about your cute dad! You are so sweet to come and cheer him up! If your down our way give me a call, I'll be induced on May 19th and you can meet our little guy! I don't know when you'll be in Utah, but if you have some time I'd love to see you!

Heath694 said...

Lisa, I didn't know you were that close to delivering! I missed it but my Dad was born on the 19th so your baby will share a birthday with a pretty awesome old man!