Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Come on everyone!!

So I know it's only been a week since you all heard about the brain cancer walk, but I have not heard from too many of you!! I know we can do better than that.

I just wanted to let you know some of the plans we have in the works for raising money. First, Amy and I have decided to have a garage sale in which all proceeds will go to the walk. We are hoping some local friends and family will have some items they can donate for this. We are planning on holding the sale when the Talus Community holds their annual sale (the date to come soon). It will be great! So if you have anything you'd like to donate to the cause, comment on this blog! Also, we thought a bake sale might be a fun way to raise some funds. We are thinking we could do the bake sale the same day as the garage sale and have it in the same area. The catch is we'll need some people willing to donate some baked goods (hint, hint). Again, let me know if this sounds at all appealing to you!

Finally, if you are still wondering if you want to walk just let me know and I'll talk you into it!! We need a big team this year! If you aren't able to walk you can just make a contribution (we would be happy if you did).

Here's a bit of what my sister, Mindy wrote about the walk that I'd thought I'd share:

Dear fellow bloggers, we need your help! As you probably all know my sister, Jenny, passed away just over a year ago from brain cancer, leaving behind two darling little girls. Now imagine if you were given a diagnosis of terminal cancer... now imagine it's brain cancer, like my sisters, and you are told that towards the end of your life, you will not be you - as everyone knows you - as the cancer takes over your brain. So the last few months of your life aren't spent holding your children, kissing and hugging them before you pass on. You spend it staring off, unable to speak - even though you want to - you just can't make the words come out (your brain won't let you). You can't feed yourself, or walk, or do any daily functions you should be able to do for yourself, however, you sit and watch your 18 month old do them, all by herself. It's a horrific death, as all cancer is. None of us would want this for themselves or for any of their loved ones and would do anything to make sure it never happens.Well my sister, Heather, and her friend, Amy, are participating in the Brain Cancer Walk in Seattle, Washington where they live. They have set a high goal for themselves, $5,000 in pledges! They would appreciate your help in helping them reach their goal. 100% of all pledges (and even registration fees) goes to support the Center for Advanced Brain Tumor Treatment (CABTT) at the Swedish Neuroscience Institute. When Jenny was going through her treatment it would have been so nice to have had a Neuroscience Institute full of the newest treatments and technology. The Huntsman Cancer Institute was great, much better than what most people have access to, however, it wasn't a neuroscience institute. How great it would have been to have had access to something like that. But the research and the new treatments that they are working on will help all brain cancer patients throughout the world. I understand times are tough and money is short for most of us, but a donation of $5 or $10 (the amount spent for lunch at Wendys or McDonalds) does help and adds up quickly. You can get a pledge form by emailing my sister at heathermariec@comcast.net or email myself at mindymiller@earthlink.net.

Thanks again, everyone! Gold bless you!

3 comments:

Brenda Dickerson Lassabe said...

I will be mailing you and Amy both a check. WHo do I make it out to?

Brenda

Heath694 said...

Seattle Brain Cancer walk I presume. Click on the link on my page and the website should tell you, but I'm fairly certain that's what you do. Thanks!!

staceygriff said...

I will be there with my walking shoes and ready to go!!!