Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Our Utah Trip Part II (Our House in the Middle of Our Street)

This is our house. Okay, technically it's my parent's house. I grew up here though, so that should give me some sort of right to it. I can at least say it was my first home and I still refer to it as "home," even though I live 800 miles away. I spent my whole childhood here and I have great memories. I love that old house!

Our house was at one time one of only a few on the street called Higley Road, named after my Grandpa Higley. The land on Higley Road was mostly owned by him and it is where he had his farm. After he died, it was left for my dad to farm. Now there are houses and houses and more houses being added. Every time I go home I'm amazed to see a few more houses going in. It is a good thing I guess, but I can't help but remember the land as it was when I would go help dad hoe beans, bail hay or irrigate. It was more untouched, more a part of me. Now it's just some stranger's house. That depresses me a little bit.

Anyway, I got to spend a lot of time with my nieces and nephews which is the joy of the vacation for me. We went swimming and played on the trampoline, had water fights and rode the four-wheeler. It was such a blast! Here's a few pictures of the kids swimming at my sister Mindy's Mother in Law's pool. She was nice enough to let us crash all day at her house! Thanks, Grandma Laurie!!






These are my favorite pictures from the day:
Alex looks like such a dork!!

Cute Livi!



My adorable niece, Oakley

2 comments:

Jess said...

Oh Heather! I love you. I love your way of telling a story - even as simple as saying "This is my house." It was fun to see you down here!

staceygriff said...

I love this entry because it's exactly how I feel about my "home" as in my parents house. I lived there my whole life until I got married. My "home" is also on a street named after my ancestors, Crockett Avenue. Much like yours. Your home looks very cute and it looks like your dad takes great pride in the yard and that your parents made a warm home for you and your siblings when you were younger and even now to return to. Thanks for sharing.