Thursday, September 18, 2008

Five of the Weirdest Things Ever

There are some things that have happened while I lived in Washington that you could say are weird, for lack of a better word. Here they are:

1. When we lived in Factoria in an apartment I was reading in the afternoon one day. Pretty soon I noticed a crackling sound like there was a fire in our fireplace, which there wasn't (we never used the fireplace the 3 years we were there). So I ignored it for a few minutes and then went outside on our deck and saw the apartment building next to ours by maybe 20 feet was completely engulfed in flames! I grabbed Alex and ran outside. The fire department had to cut holes in the roof to let out the flames and extinguish the fire. It was pretty bad! Luckily, no sparks caught out building. Surreal!

2. Again, while living in those apartments, the woman directly below us (on the ground level) was raped one night in her OWN APARTMENT! A man entered from her window, which was open because it was a hot summer! They never caught the guy (to my knowledge).

3. When we first moved to Issaquah there was so much rain one year that the salmon were actually crossing the street in the flood. It looked like they were taking a walk. AWESOME!

4. The black out of Dec. 2006 was super cool. The wind blew so hard one night that the power was knocked out throughout most of the east side of Seattle. I remember looking out the window during the night and the huge cedar trees all around were bent nearly in half. We were without power for almost 4 days--some people longer. It was in December so it was cold. We were glad we had our gas fireplace and stove to cook.

5. One day I was driving down the street just past Target and noticed that the ground was really bumpy and almost wavy. I thought my tire was flat so I pulled into the Library building on Newport Way and got out of the car. That's when I noticed the trees all around were almost bouncing and swaying. The woman in the car in front of me got out too and said she thought it was an earthquake. Which it turned out to be (I think a 6.3 or something). Sidenote: The doors in our house never fit right in the jams after that! How inconvenient!

Okay, so there's six, not five.

6. When my family was visiting in November one year we all went down town Seattle to do some site seeing. We were bombarded by a throng of protestors (who were protesting fur clothing). They were holding signs of skinned animals and bloody clothing. These people meant business...my family was a little bewildered by that. Ahhh, only in Seattle!

Okay, so now your turn!

6 comments:

Dawn Polson said...

Wow, Heather! Nothing exciting happens to me. I can't even think of one. I mean, last night I was getting gas and this guy started yelling at his bicycle and throwing it up against the building, he would walk away then turn around and start yelling at it again. I hate it when my bike argues with me! :) Anyway, that's as weird as it gets for me. I am so boring!

Dawn Polson

Heath694 said...

That is soooo funny. I was dying when I read this. That is as good as any of my weird moments. Just a question, who won?

Dawn Polson said...

He, he, I think the bike did. It was the only one who came out of the situation not looking absolutely crazy. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post Heather. I was feeling a little bummed because we had a flood downstairs this week but after reading this I realize it could have been ALOT worse! :)

Our flood was weird because I was upstairs working and could hear the pipe running in the wall but assumed it was the neighbor's shower. 40 minutes later I'm thinking that's too long for a shower and went to investigate. Water had been gushing out of our downstairs bathroom that whole time and filled up the whole bedroom and hallway. A total mess, it's the first time I've ever worn water shoes...and it was in the house!

Heath694 said...

Ohhh!!!! I'm so sorry!!! That's terrible. Can I come and help you clean up? That is the worst thing to happen. You win!!!!

staceygriff said...

good post Heather. I like it. I'm glad I missed the fur protesters. Not into seeing that kind of stuff at all. good idea for a post though.