Friday, September 26, 2008

Flashback Friday

Martin and I met almost 15 years ago. Actually, it was in October of 1993. I'm lacking a month, but it still works...(go with it). I was just talking to him and remembered the first time he met my parents. I think it was the second or third date, and I had invited him in. I knew we were going to get serious, even though we had just met, thus the need for the intro to mom and dad. My parents are very small people. My mom is 4'9" and my dad is 5'2". Martin, of course, is taller...6'3" to be exact. So I brought him in to meet my dad first, to which dad yelled to mom, "Joan, get in here. You gotta see the size of this kid!" My mom, being the mom she is (easily embarrassed by my dad), yelled back, "I don't want to see him, Harvey." From then on, Martin was intimidated by her.

Martin was a city boy. He didn't know anything about a farm (even an ex-farm) or country folks. A few weeks later, after we were pretty serious, Martin had to spend a couple of hours alone with my mom and sister, Mindy. I don't remember where I was, but mom and Mindy offered to take Martin to Smith and Edwards (the country boys store) for which Farr West is famous. Martin was completely thrilled at the thought. After years of hearing the commercials, he jumped at the idea of seeing it for himself. If you aren't from Utah, I'm sure you have no idea what Smith and Edwards is -- I will explain: They carry all sorts of tools, hunting gear, cowboy wear, lawn and garden materials, outdoorsy stuff, candy, and much, much more. Their slogan is "If we can't find it, you don't need it." It's true, there is so much stuff there the owners literally don't have any idea what is in the inventory.

So while at Smith and Edwards (surplus plus), Mindy offered to take Martin to the fishing aisle while my mom made a b-line for the ammo. section. Standing amidst the army surplus, and red necks with handle-bar mustaches, I wonder if Martin questioned what he had gotten himself into. Luckily, he stayed around and got to know me better. I'm soooo glad he did! Love you, babe! Here's to 15 years.

P.S. My mom really loves Martin. She just really needed bullets. Martin isn't intimidated by her anymore (most of the time).

1 comment:

Jen Vesper said...

That story is hilarious! I think you have to know your parents to grasp the full humor of it. I can just hear your dad's voice. LOL Too funny.