Friday, October 31, 2008

Flashback Friday (Part two)

Today is Halloween. Well, I guess I like Halloween. Although, I find fear not an emotion I particularly like to experience, I try to find the fun in Halloween. It's easier to do that when you have kids, I guess. I remember liking it as a kid and I just like to watch my kids enjoying themselves.


So here are some memorable Halloween stories to scare you!

1. My first memory of Halloween is when I was probably 3 years old. We went to a good friend of the family's home. They had turned their garage into a haunted house and thus began my long dislike of haunted houses. I remember very little about the tour through the "house" but I do remember a giant gorilla, an alien and someone being electrocuted (always nice for a 3-year+old to experience). I still remember being terrified out of my mind!

2. I remember when I was young, in elementary, coming home from school after a great day of parties and tons of sugar. My sisters and I would walk home from the bus stop and we could barely contain our excitement for trick or treating. We would get home and try and perfect our costumes and wait impatiently for my mom and dad to get home and take us trick or treating.

3. One time my dad dressed up like a fat woman. It was embarrassing.

4. My mom had the best scary stories I have ever heard. She would tell them to us sometimes when we begged and they still frighten me when I think about them. They were so great because she claimed they were all true and they were things that happened to her or people she knew and they seemed all too feasible. My mom is the best story-teller.

5. The year I met Martin, my best friend Jen and friend Steph took me (or rather, dragged me) to a haunted house. In Utah in the 80's and 90's haunted houses were the rage. I remember the March of Dimes haunted house and many more. There was one at Rocky Point near my house. Anyway, Jen talked me into going. I was scared so bad I nearly had a heart attack. From the minute I walked in, to the long awaited minute I walked out, I HATED it. There was one part that a guy with a chain saw came after me and I wanted drop to the floor, huddle in the corner and cry in the fetal position--no really, literally. Jen was so brave...not scared at all. I think maybe we went with a guy but I don't think he was hot so I literally had nobody to hang onto except Jen and she left me at some point. Some friend!

6. Also, the year I met Martin we went to a Howard Jones concert on Halloween or the day before, I can't remember which. It was great because we had just met a couple of weeks earlier, but had already kissed and there was lots of snuggling and such. That was a good Halloween. Nothing like HoJo.

Happy Halloween! Make some great memories this year!

2 comments:

Nick & Kerrie Andrews & Family said...

I just love your blog! You have always been so thoughtful! It's always fun to remember fun times... I also loved your Thoughtful Thursday post! What a great idea!

Jen Vesper said...

You are so cute. I don't remember the Haunted House at all...seriously! I feel so bad that it traumatized you and I don't even remember! I do however remember the HoJo concert. It was at Saltair and Shell and I were up on the balcony in front and you and Martin had gone downstairs. I remember looking at you and knowing that the two of you just belonged together. It was a great night.