Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thoughtful Thursday

A friend of my came up with doing "Thoughtful Thursdays," and I liked the idea and decided to be a copy-cat (thanks, Shellee). In these posts I will be telling about a thoughtful act someone did for me and then I will do something thoughtful for someone else (the last thing I won't post about, because I might try to do something anonymously and I also don't want to seem like I'm bragging that I helped someone!). It think this will help me be more grateful for my blessings and it will help me be more proactive about doing thoughtful things for other people. I'm excited to do this!

A year ago I was going through a difficult time. I had just had foot and calf surgery on one leg and was preparing to do the same to the next leg. I had to use crutches and a little knee scooter (that I loved) to get around in my own house for 6 weeks on each leg. All the time this was going on my sister was very sick in the hospital and drawing her final breaths. It was overwhelming and I was tired and sick of sitting around the house all day doing literally nothing and worrying about my sister. I wondered if anyone knew or cared.

One evening some friends (who will remain anonymous) showed up on my doorstep with several (I think 5) casseroles for me to freeze and use at my discretion. They had gotten together and decided on their own accord to help my family out by providing us with some meals. It touched me that they did this without provocation. I think they knew about my surgeries, yes, but they didn't know about the inner struggle I was having and their kindness made my day--actually my week! I will always remain thankful for their caring about me and knowing I was in need of a jump start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Heather, friends like that are precious and few.